The first trailer for Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle is out and I have thoughts.
- Why is every franchise adaptation now a variation on The Breakfast Club? First it was the Power Rangers film, now it’s Jumanji that starts out with a group of mis-matched high school students being thrown together in detention. Is this the only way modern screenwriters can think of to bring characters to one place so the plot can kick in?
- Throwing a flag on flagrant underuse of Marc Evan Jackson as the principal. If this is all Hollywood can think of to do with him, there are bigger issues.
- Why do they react to the discovery of an old game system with such shock? They’ve never seen something like this before?
- So…it’s TRON?
- Karen Gillan’s wardrobe was a controversial point when promotional images started coming out, but the explanations amounted to “well that’s how video game females look,” which isn’t enough. Neither is acknowledging it with dialogue.
- Still waiting for Kevin Hart to not play Kevin Hart.
- Oh cool, funny Jack Black is back.
- Well of course Guns ’n’ Roses’ “Welcome to the Jungle” was going to be used.